Who are these websites for?
These websites are solely for professional organizers, especially ones who are at the beginning stages of their business and want a simple website to start out with. These website templates really have everything you need. In the future you may want to experiment with advanced features, like having your clients book their appointments directly on your website, but these websites are great for quickly (and cheaply) getting your professional organizing business off the ground.
How does this work exactly?
What do I get?
Regardless of the website template you purchase (there are 3 options to choose from), you will get all the features below along with your website:
- A “clean and easy to navigate” WordPress website for all demographics. I have a developer’s license to reuse website templates I have purchased from other developers… which means I can use existing WordPress templates and make them my own, rather than starting from scratch. Saves time for me, and money for you. 🙂
- Writing prompts that make it super easy for you to come up with the textual content for your website.
- A free offer that you can use in conjunction with your email list. (For example, you might put on your website, “Download the ‘Five Minute Organizing Tasks: One Hour to an Improved Home’ E-book for free! Enter your name and email address below for instant access.”) Even if you don’t intend to send out an email newsletter anytime soon, it’s a great idea to start growing your list right away!
- A blog option. The blog can show up immediately when people visit your website on the homepage, or it can be linked to on the navigation bar. If you are not ready to start writing in a blog just yet, no worries. It takes just a couple clicks to start blogging once you are ready, even if it’s a few years down the road.
- If you do not have a logo, I will give you a very simplified logo that looks exactly like the one used in the template.
- A favicon. This is the tiny little image that you see in the website’s tab at the top of the screen. (For example, mine is a white square with a violet lowercase “pow.”)
- A contact form, so website visitors can easily contact you through your website. (The contact form results will be emailed to you each time.)
- A Google-approved mobile version of your website. This is very important nowadays because Google places a high value on mobile-friendly websites.
- Installation of a security plugin onto your website. This helps to keep the hackers away. You’ll get an email whenever anyone logs into your website (including you). This may seem like a bit much, but it is worth it.
- Light on-page SEO. Whenever you create a new page or blog post (or simply want to make an edit), you can customize the title and descriptive snippet that Google shows on the search engine results page. This also gives Google an idea of what that particular page or post is about so they can index you properly. When I set up your website I will go ahead and fill these in for the existing pages. You can edit or change them as needed later if you’d like.
- A color scheme that is unique to your business branding. When you fill out your website questionnaire, it will ask you what your colors are. I recommend choosing no more than 2-3 colors. These colors will be used in the website design. So the colors you see in the website templates will be customized to fit your branding.
- One hour of training time via conference call, where I show you how to update your website, fill in the SEO snippets, etc.
- All of this is included with your website!
What don’t I get?
- At this time, I am not setting up online booking calendars for clients or recommending any. There are so many online to check out, many of which can easily be integrated with your website. (Often they will give you code to copy and paste into your website, or sometimes the calendar will be hosted on their own site, so you only need to place a link on your site to it.) The Facebook groups [POTT and Organizers Unleashed] are a great resource for this.
- I currently do not help with Google Adwords, which is a way of listing your website at the very top of the Google search results page. Again, the Facebook groups [see the two links just above] are great for this — there are a few people on there who are very knowledgeable of Google Adwords. Just ask!
- Setup of Google Analytics or Google Webmaster Tools, although I’m happy to answer any questions about them.
- Any stock photos needed for the website design.
- Logo design, aside from setting up a logo to look like the demo ones if needed.
- The cost of the website domain or hosting. These are up to you to purchase. Usually you can get both for around $75/year, give or take.
What do you mean by “WordPress”? What is a WordPress website?
WordPress is simply software installed on a website that serves as a “content management system” or CMS. CMSs make it easy for just about anyone to go in an edit a website — kind of like editing a Microsoft Word document — and make light customizations… versus the 90s where you had to know HTML to edit a website. There are a few popular CMSs out there but WordPress is by far the most popular one nowadays.
How much does it cost to have a WordPress website?
WordPress itself is free. When you purchase a domain name (around $10-15/year) and hosting (yours will probably cost $40-100/year), WordPress is just a one-click installation and takes just a few minutes. By the way, if this all sounds scary and new, that’s okay. I can help you get everything set up properly as part of your website template purchase.
What if I already have a website?
That’s fine. We’ll look at your current website and decide how best to display the existing content in the new website, what changes you’d like to make, etc.
What if I don’t have a website yet at all?
That’s totally fine too. If you don’t even have a domain or hosting yet — or even know what those are — I can help walk you through everything from the very beginning.
Can I customize the website?
Absolutely. When we are in the development phase of the website, I will send you some writing prompts. There will already be some text there to help you with ideas. You can keep what you want, change things, add things, subtract things, whatever works for you and your business. For example, I will send you a sheet of Frequently Asked Questions you can choose from and customize as needed. And then, when I hand your website over to you, you can continue to edit it whenever you want (either on your own, or with my help or another web designer).
What if I want you to make edits to my site later?
Awesome, I’d love to help! My normal rate is $50/hour, or you can pre-pay in blocks of discounted hours:
- 4 hour block of time is discounted 5%: $190 total cost
- 6 hour block of time is discounted 10%: $270 total cost
- 8 hour block of time is discounted 15%: $340 total cost
You must pre-pay for a full block of time to receive the discounted rate!
Contact me if you’d like to purchase hours and I will send you a link to pay online.
What do I need to know about blogging?
Blogging is GREAT for search engine optimization and I highly recommend doing it if you have the time. Plus, it gives you a chance to show off your organizing knowledge to potential clients. However, if you do decide to blog, commit to it and post consistently. I recommend posting once a week.
Can you set up a custom website for me (not using the templates)?
I generally don’t do custom websites anymore because they end up being a much larger expense on the client, but if you have some ideas for a custom professional organizer website you’d like, contact me here and let’s discuss it!
How can I connect with other professional organizers?
I am also a member of Profitable Organizer, which is where I learned how to become a professional organizer. (If you click that link and purchase anything from them, I will get a small commission.) They have a discussion forum with some great tips too.
How do I become a professional organizer?
See the answer to the previous question above about connecting with other professional organizers. You can learn a lot just from joining the two Facebook groups, posting questions, and seeing what others have to say.
As I mentioned too, I joined the Profitable Organizer training program and think it’s a wonderful resource. They tell you everything you need to know about running your professional organizing business.